Wednesday 12 October 2011

Bercheny Hussars


My apologies for being quiet of late but I have been rounding off a number of projects and there
will be quite a bit to post over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, here is a French SYW regiment of Hussars. The use of hussars was in its infancy in Western European nations and the French only had four regiments, mostly raised by Hungarian emigres. This regiment, Bercheny, was probably the best of them and one regiment, Polleresky's, was disbanded in 1758, (its squadrons hived off to other regiments) for doing what hussars do rather well - looting and pillaging. They sure look pretty but their quality leaves much to be desired.

The figures are from Front Rank. The flag is conjectural.

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful looking unit!! I once painted these for a pal in 15mm. I liked them because of the light blue/grey coat, which is a little different to the usual red or blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning brushwork, Nigel! I never get enough of hussar regiments in miniature.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very nice...very dramatic looking group.I really like the blue you´ve painted
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's a lovely looking unit. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoah! Beautifully done. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great painting and basing wish I was to that standard but my painting days are over for the next few years until my daughter grows of age.

    ReplyDelete